The Essential Guide to Obtaining Your NIE in Spain
Navigating the Spanish bureaucratic system can be a daunting task, especially when it comes to essential documents like the NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero or Foreigner’s Identification Number). Whether you’re an EU citizen or coming from outside the EU, this guide will simplify the process for you.
Why You Need a NIE:
In Spain, the NIE is indispensable. Without it, numerous tasks become impossible – from buying or renting property, to setting up a business, acquiring a vehicle, or even receiving your Amazon deliveries. In short, it’s your key to smoothly integrating into Spanish life.
Step-by-Step Guide to Obtaining Your NIE:
- Making an Appointment: Start by scheduling an appointment at your local Oficina de Extranjeros or a Policia Nacional station. This can be done online (in Spanish) or in person.
- Form Filling: Download the Modelo 790 / código 012 (found at [Modelo 790 / código 012](https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/)) and Modelo EX 15 (available at [Modelo EX 15](https://www.inclusion.gob.es/documents/410169/2156469/15-Formulario_NIE_y_certificados.pdf)). Remember, the Modelo EX 15 has an English translation, but this version isn’t valid for applications.
- Payment: Complete the Modelo 790 form, pay the required €9.84 fee at your bank, and obtain a stamped receipt.
- Appointment Day: Attend your appointment with the completed Modelo EX 15 form (original and photocopy), Modelo 790, and the payment receipt. Don’t forget your passport and a photocopy of its biographical data page.
- Processing Time: Depending on your location, the NIE might be issued immediately or you may need to return after a few days.
While obtaining your NIE might seem complex, it’s a crucial step in your journey of living or buying a property in Spain. With this guide, you’re well on your way to mastering this essential task.
When buying a property though Alenda Golf Property we help you with the whole process if you do not have an NIE.